Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibility

WATCH: Curious pup starts house fire after turning on stove

Dog starts house fire by turning on stove (Colorado Springs Fire Department)
Dog starts house fire by turning on stove (Colorado Springs Fire Department)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

Fido started the fire.

A curious pup started a house fire when they accidentally switched on the stove where some boxes were being stored.

The Colorado Springs Fire Department said they responded on June 26 at 4:43 a.m. to a possible structure fire at a home after the homeowners reported they had experienced a fire on the stove which had been extinguished.

Crews arrived at the home with "no visible fire or smoke" and did not find any active fire but did find evidence of the flames.

It was discovered the homeowner was able to put out the fire but was later taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation.

Crews added that no other injuries were reported to people or pets.

"After talking to the homeowners and looking through their home security footage, we determined their pup got a bit curious and accidentally switched on the oven which had some boxes on top of it," the fire department noted on Facebook.

The homeowners told officials they were woken up by their Apple HomePod which sent them a "High Heat" notice.

"This is a good reminder to always have working smoke alarms inside and outside every sleeping area and on every floor of the home, ensure all combustibles are away from your stovetop/oven, and know two ways out of every room in your home in the event of a fire," crews said.

Loading ...